Meningitis Sickens Two Young Children …

9 Feb

I saw this article and it just saddened me tremendously, to think of parents suffering as their children fight this awful disease.

I lost my son to meningococcal meningitis, so I know how deadly it can be.  Even though the CDC does not recommend vaccination until 11-12 years of age, with a booster dose in five years, there are vaccines LICENSED BY THE FDA for everyone 9 months of age and up.  My 2 and 3 year old grandchildren have been vaccinated, because my surviving son saw the devastation this disease did to his older brother.  The vaccine is safe and effective.  If you have it younger, you will just need a booster dose sooner.  It all gets down to your level of comfort.  I am not comfortable knowing this disease has already struck my family.  Visit the National Meningitis Association for more information.  Probably within the year, there will be vaccines licensed by the FDA for younger infants.

7 Responses to “Meningitis Sickens Two Young Children …”

1. Ashley February 9, 2012 at 9:05 pm #

Lynn, is this something you can ask your pediatrician about? I am on an advisory board for the state of Minnesota, and several pediatricians on the board would like to make this vaccine a requirement for youngsters. I didn’t know it was even an option and would like to make sure my kids are vaccinated. Is it a common vaccine in pediatricians offices?

2. Lynn February 14, 2012 at 4:42 pm #

Hi Ashley,

Yes, all pediatrician offices should stock the meningitis vaccine, as it is a routine recommendation for all 11-12 year olds, followed by a booster dose in 5 years. Right now, there are no mandates for the meningitis vaccine for middle school students in Minnesota, as there are in other states. There is an education requirement for college students, but no requirement for the vaccine. Having lost my son to this disease, it is my hope that all parents will vaccinate their children!

• Yutaka March 5, 2012 at 12:32 am #

Vaccines are tough because the risk is all on your kids, but the bneifets go to the whole community. My girls are both on schedule (although had my #2 come at a less crazy time, I might have spaced them out). Here is why I believe in vaccines:A few years ago, we missed our flu shots. I never got them before having my first, and never really liked them. And I never get the flu. Except that year. I got the flu when I was about 1 week pregnant. I gave it to my whole family (husband, daughter, in-laws, dad). My dad gave it to my mom. From there, I don’t know where it spread. We all came out okay, but I had a miscarriage a few weeks later. Maybe getting the shot wouldn’t have helped, but it might have stopped the spread.

3. Ashlin March 4, 2012 at 10:47 pm #

Vaccines are tough because the risk is all on your kids, but the nfteeibs go to the whole community. My girls are both on schedule (although had my #2 come at a less crazy time, I might have spaced them out). Here is why I believe in vaccines:A few years ago, we missed our flu shots. I never got them before having my first, and never really liked them. And I never get the flu. Except that year. I got the flu when I was about 1 week pregnant. I gave it to my whole family (husband, daughter, in-laws, dad). My dad gave it to my mom. From there, I don’t know where it spread. We all came out okay, but I had a miscarriage a few weeks later. Maybe getting the shot wouldn’t have helped, but it might have stopped the spread.

4. Gladiatorr March 5, 2012 at 8:42 am #

So where does all this leave parents? I have 3 idelhrcn. One born different from day one; but hear me now, he got autistic colitis from the MMR (the results nor their replicability were NOT the reason the study was pulled; the doctor in question admitted to unethical requiting practices for the study. There has never been a similar study done on a select group of idelhrcn to see if Autistic Entercolitis (which has been in the medical literature since the late 1800s) is an effect of shedding both the Measles virus and the Mumps virus (which shed via the gut) in close time proximity to each other. For a small group of kids there is a predisposition to developing a severe leaky gut syndrome after either having the diseases themselves or the vaccines The problem with doing the studies is finding what the predispoing factor is and trying to find this very small subset of kids for whom this is truly a problem who have had and not had the vaccine to see what their levels of autistic behavior are I have no illusion that my son was perfectly fine before the vaccine, and I waited until he was older before being pressured into giving it to him He was a very very very sick little boy and lost ground in many areas he’d made advances. Three years on a gluten and casein free diet and he regained some of that lost ground; but he was born on the spectrum and remains on the spectrum it’s a matter of to what degree some of his deficits display.The problem with finding the cause of autism is that there isn’t ONE CAUSE autism is a label now given to a vast and broad spectrum of overlapping behaviors there are numerous variances and subcategories of similarities under this broad term. Any studies done are going to be fraught with difficulties because of this there is no genetic marker on gene such and such that is going to be the magic answer. The sooner we stop having polarized arguments about the issue, the sooner we can get some real answers.There are other vaccine issues in my family’s history. Most recently my 3rd child received a booster in the whooping cough, tetanus/ diptheria series. Against my expressed wishes her physician decided to give her the Kinrex vaccine which she only informed me as she was giving it, included the injected polio vaccine as well. Okay those are all terrible diseases that have serious reprecussions, including fatality But my daughter was unfortunate enough to be in that bottom 1% and developed a seriously high fever 104.7 that didn’t lower but a degree even with ibuprofen Would the doctor report this to the CDC? No. Why not? because the threshold for reporting is 105.. oh gee sorry I should have waited for her to have a seizure and let the fever continue to rise to meet your artificial threshold first? This one of many reasons that vaccines seem to be so safe the limits on what is reported as an adverse effect are contrived to exclude true adverse effects. She also developed a rash 5 days later, but the doctor won’t even discuss it with me it’s not related. How the heck does she make that leap no one has reported rash at five days? well yes bc the CDC won’t record any reactions unless they happen within 24-48 hours after the vaccination! Ridiculous!!! as even them manufacturer will tell you that fever (although not 104.7) is common up to 2 weeks post vaccine as in when the body is busy making the antibodies to the foreign substances In addition to the actual virus’ in the vaccines you have all the components they are made on and from and that are added either as preservatives or as components, stabilizers and even accidental contaminants. Okay so I have two kids who have experienced serious illness following vaccinations; my mother got the paralyzing Guillian-Barre syndrome following the flu shot one year; I have a localized allergic reaction to the TB test; I am still not immune to ruebella in spite of being vaccinated 3 times in my life with the MMR There’s our family history. What am I supposed to do? Am I supposed to blindly follow the medical communities pro-vaccine push and chalk everything up to chance and let my kids continue to be vaccinated? or do I try to find a doctor who is willing to write an exemption so that I can actually choose to not have my kids exposed to more vaccination due to our family history of complications? Or do my kids just not get to go to various schools, programs or colleges because they refuse to be forced to be vaccinated?You tell me, bc no doctor or researcher has yet been able to say what the right decision is the leaflet with the Kinrex says it shouldn’t be given to anyone who has ever had a bad reaction to it or it’s components but the doctor doesn’t want to document that she had a reaction so . now what?This pro vaccines are 100% safe and effective (not true, read the literature) vs. con all vaccines are bad!!! drama isn’t doing anyone any good. Real research needs to be conducted without the 433Million dollar government contracts and purchase orders attached (smallpox anti-viral development) Recent outbreaks of whooping cough have now shown that that vaccine only lasts about 3-5 years not the lifetime as once believed, nor the 12 years subsequently believed The chicken pox vaccine is only effective about 50% of the time and may require further boosters. The truth about vaccines is murky at best. And what is in the interests of the public at large may not be in the interest of the individual. It sucks. I’m damned if I do and damned if I don’t.So you tell me, which decision is right for *MY* situation?anneVA:F [1.9.10_1130]please wait…(1 vote cast)

• Lynn March 8, 2012 at 7:03 pm #

The science has shown that there is no connection between autism and vaccination. For more information, please visit the Autism Science Foundation, autismsciencefoundation.org. Thanks for reading our blog.

• Ashley March 14, 2012 at 2:52 am #

Yes, the easy answer to her question is that vaccines doesn’t cause autism.

Share your thoughts

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s